Monday, June 14, 2021

Current job update

Well, apparently I hate my job but it doesn't hate me. I had my annual performance review last week and hot damn was it good. (My company's fiscal year ends June 30, hence the mid-calendar year review.)

During this pandemic, I have definitely not felt like I was doing my best work. I love working from home, but I need a little more accountability than I currently have. Apparently though, I'm still doing well enough that I was ranked in the highest bucket (now three out of my four years), which resulted in a 17% raise (which brings me up to the salary I've been asking for in interviews - time to up that number!) and a TWENTY-THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR bonus.

Sorry about the all caps, I'm just unbelievably stoked about that number. I've never had a bonus that large before - I think $5k for professional licensing was the biggest bonus I've ever gotten previously. Last year's bonus was just $3k.

I have a relative who works in HR who told me that I can negotiate for a signing bonus from any companies in the offer phase to still get that amount of money even if I leave before the bonus is paid out (which would be September 30, presumably to keep people from quitting). 

Based on my last bonus's withholdings, I'll net about 2/3 of the gross amount, roughly $15.5k. Even that amount of money is staggering to me. I've already figured out that at the time of payout, the bonus amount would be enough to pay off the rest of my credit cards entirely and leave me about $1,500 to do with what I wish. 

Y'all, I know not to count my chickens before they hatch, but I'm already so relieved at the idea of having my cards paid off a full year earlier than expected. At my current rate, it was looking like June 2022 for full payoff. Once my cards are paid off, I can finally start saving heavily for early retirement and travel and all of the fun things I've been avoiding because they're too expensive (like scuba diving!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two month (and change) check-in

The job change has had me more scrambled than I expected! I'm loving the new role, even though the commute is still pretty rough. (Hurra...