Tuesday, June 1, 2021

May net worth update

May was another good month. The Affirm loan was finally paid off, and I both went on vacation to Universal Studios and paid off both the package and incurred incidentals. Taking the vacation meant I didn't keep making progress on my debts, but after not having traveled in over a year (with the exception of a couple of road trips to visit my brother, which barely counted since I drove straight down and just stayed in his house hanging with my nephew), it was a welcome respite. 

Here's my introduction post where I broke down my net worth in January 2021, and here's a link to my FebruaryMarch, and April updates.

Here's where my net worth stands now as of 5/31/2021:

  • Checking: $3,822.66 
  • Short-term savings: $4,908.61 (This is several savings accounts: car repairs, car insurance [paid every six months], cat savings [I have two approaching-senior cats, and their vet bills are always a kick in the teeth], and vacation)
  • E*Trade: $537.35 (this is literally just a few shares in one stock that I've had since I was probably 12 or so?)
  • Vanguard brokerage account: $200 (I've gotten antsy with credit card paydowns and wanted to start investing again, so I gave myself $50/month to start doing so - this is my seed money from a savings account that I will put toward a share of VTI once I have enough in the money market fund)
  • Retirement savings: $31,841.73 (Roth IRA) and $39,424.77 (401(k) - I'm also not fully vested yet, but the unvested amount is maybe $1k)
  • HSA: $1,370.28 cash, $8,458.91 invested = $9,829.19 (my HSA requires at least $1,000 in cash available to pay for expenses - anything over that, I just haven’t invested yet)
  • Condo: ~$120,000 (A recent listing for the same layout unit - but more recently remodeled - was listed at $198k.)

Total assets: $210,564.31

  • Credit card debt: ($19,558.78) (so stoked to be under $20k! These are due to be paid off by September 2022)
  • Student loans: ($21,339.72) (mostly federal, and payments are suspended until September 30, 2021 - roughly $5.1k is private, so that's where I'm focusing my efforts) (private loan due to be paid off December 2022, and federal loans April 2023)
  • Car loan: ($457.89) (due to be paid off August 2021, at which point that money will be diverted to a sinking fund for a car replacement)
  • Mortgage: ($35,922.12) (due to be paid off November 2038 - before grad school, I made 8 months of principal-only payments that were the same amount as the mandatory principal+interest payments [not including escrow for taxes and insurance] and it cut 2.5 years off the life of my loan, which still blows my dang mind)

Total liabilities: ($77,278.51) 

Net worth: $133,285.80

My prior month net worth was $129,584.90, which means I've had about a $3.7k gain in the past month! This time it was mostly a decrease in liabilities, which I'm totally fine with - the less debt I owe, the less interest I have to pay.

In June I plan to continue paying down the Chase Sapphire and to purchase one share of VTI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two month (and change) check-in

The job change has had me more scrambled than I expected! I'm loving the new role, even though the commute is still pretty rough. (Hurra...