Monday, July 12, 2021

Two weeks' notice

Well, I did it. Last week I put in my two weeks' notice. It was bittersweet - my job has been insanely stressful (my blood pressure has been creeping up the last two years), but I really love (almost) all the people I've worked with. And as I mentioned in my last post, they had been very pleased with my performance (even though I personally don't think I was working up to my potential). I've been ready to move on, though, and hopefully to a position with less stress.

Where am I going? I got a job in an industry I'm very excited to be joining. It's a pre-IPO start-up doing some amazing things. They met my salary ask without negotiating me down (I had intentionally over-asked assuming they would), and I'm getting stock options. They also agreed to let me have a week off about one month in (vacation doesn't usually start until 90 days out) in exchange for me starting on the earlier of their two proposed starting dates.

However... I messed up a bit. I didn't negotiate to cover the bonus from my soon-to-be-former job, and when my old company mentioned a retention bonus, I didn't get a number from them to take to the new job. Live and learn! I was very ready to just get everything over with. Sadly, this means I won't be paying off my credit cards as soon as I wanted/expected, but the pay increase I'm getting will be going toward my credit cards. My current projection is that they will all be paid off by the end of June 2022, but I'm making a lot of guesses about my net pay and budget with the new job. 

Another minor bummer about the new job is that it's on the opposite side of town from me, which means I'll have a heck of a commute. Luckily, I love audiobooks, and once I get past downtown, it will be a reverse commute. My gym has a location on that side of town as well, so the tentative plan is that I'll go work out after work, which will give traffic time to die down. I had offhandedly mentioned an off-peak schedule to the hiring manager on my way out from my interview and he didn't immediately shut that idea down, so that could be a possibility as well.

I am considering moving to that side of town next year, if the commute really gets to me. My condo is enough of a disaster that I wouldn't be able to get it on the market in the next couple of months, and if I moved now, my housing expense would basically double, which would cut into my credit card repayments. A one-year delay, though, gives me plenty of time to declutter and make necessary updates (new flooring, for example) without having to stress too much. Even if the housing market cools off, I should still make a tidy profit on this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two month (and change) check-in

The job change has had me more scrambled than I expected! I'm loving the new role, even though the commute is still pretty rough. (Hurra...