Thursday, March 18, 2021

Whoops

I haven't been keeping up with my spending journals. I could make excuses, but I don't have any particularly good ones. The project I was on at work wrapped up last Tuesday, and I just sort of fell into a funk. I think I suffer from depression (I was diagnosed as a teenager after my dad died, but I haven't seen any sort of mental health professional since then) and/or seasonal affective disorder, so I tend to spend a lot of time working on my mental health, but occasionally I slip and anything that's not an absolute must-do (basically, food and work) falls by the wayside. I just showered for the first time in four or five days, for instance.

I've also bought some stupid stuff in the last two weeks that I didn't really want to confess to. I bought a customized Yeti, coffee beans from a local roaster, a lot of pizza (I think it was like 5 places in a week), a slightly spendy dinner out with my sister-in-law when she came to town (socially distanced on a patio), and I blew my $1,400 stimulus on a trip to Universal Studios Orlando in early May. I decided not to feel too guilty about my trip, though, because: 

  • I spent my last two checks paying down my debt
  • I'm on track to pay down the Marriott Amex by April as planned
  • I have not gone on vacation in a year and three months (as of now) and by the time my trip rolls around it'll have been almost a year and a half
  • I got my first vaccine shot last week, so by the time my trip rolls around I should be fully immunized.

The package I got was about $840 for four nights at an on-site hotel and a three-park four-day ticket. I paid for my flight with points on Southwest, although I did splurge for the Early Bird check-in, so that was another $51.20. I earmarked about $200 of my stimulus to get a massage on my upcoming birthday, and the remaining $300-ish will be spent on the trip itself.

This morning I spent a few minutes during a work webcast catching up on my expense tracking in GoodBudget. Honestly, the damage wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm dying to put the next chunk of change on the Marriott Amex, but the billing cycle is due to close today, so I'm leaving it alone until tomorrow at the earliest. 

I've also started applying for jobs! I'm trying to apply to only things I think will be interesting and that I want to do.

All in all, I am making progress and mostly good decisions, even if I'm not reporting it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two month (and change) check-in

The job change has had me more scrambled than I expected! I'm loving the new role, even though the commute is still pretty rough. (Hurra...