Friday, May 14, 2021

Job hunt update

I'm frustrated.

I've applied to what feels like 20+ jobs at this point, and I've had several interviews, but nothing has come to fruition. I'm getting ghosted a lot post-interview, too.

A particularly demoralizing point was last week, while I was on vacation, I went back to my hotel room in the middle of the day to have a phone interview with a CEO, and it ended with him telling me that the recruiter would be in touch in the next day or two. Well, it's been over a week, and I haven't heard anything from the recruiter, but on Monday LinkedIn was kind enough to notify me that there was a new posting - for the same position at that company.

I can usually tell exactly when things go wrong in interviews. Usually I give an answer that doesn't frame me in the right light, or I say something in a particularly annoying tone of voice. The problem is, knowing when it's happening doesn't help, because I can't undo it. 

I thought with my most recent interview Wednesday that I did a really good job. There were a couple of the traditional "asking about a weak spot" questions where I answered honestly and also mentioned how I had overcome those weak spots. I didn't say anything in an annoying tone of voice, either. It's possible they could still get back to me. I would like the position a lot, it's remote and the duties seem well within my wheelhouse.

In the meantime, though, I'm going to continue applying to anything I seem even remotely qualified for. Hopefully someone finds my work history appealing!

Update: Yeah, that job from Wednesday rejected me shortly after this post was published. Cue further frustration and discouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two month (and change) check-in

The job change has had me more scrambled than I expected! I'm loving the new role, even though the commute is still pretty rough. (Hurra...