Thursday, April 1, 2021

Marriott Amex - officially paid off! Next steps...?

I'm so stoked! Last night at 10:30 pm, I was looking at my GoodBudget app, and I realized I could pay the last little bitty chunk of the Marriott Amex (while borrowing a bit from the next pay period's envelope loading/the "unallocated" envelope). I have officially paid it off!

So technically, I did make three additional purchases on it this month, primarily because I didn't have my main credit card with me. I bought a bottle of kirschwasser and a bottle of whiskey at the liquor store, I paid for a massage with it (that money came out of my stimulus funds), and I ordered some (much-needed) leggings from Old Navy, so I'll be on the hook for all of that (about $300) when the billing cycle closes in April. 

My federal student loans are frozen because of the pandemic, so I've been using that money (about $265) to pay off this card. That $265 plus the $97ish in the regular mid-month budget will more than cover the last chunk of spending, and I will be ready to move on to the next card, the Chase Sapphire with about $7,500 (ugh) on it.

I've already been paying slightly more than the minimum payment on the Chase Sapphire (I set all my cards up with a fixed payment instead of just the minimum because I hated having to adjust my budget every month). The current minimum payment is about $150. With the Marriott Amex paid off, I'll be able to put $680 ($150 min pymt + $97 Amex mid-month amt + $168 Amex end-of-month amt + $265 fed student loan) each month toward it! I'm expecting to have it paid off by November of this year.

I'm also planning to apply for a 0% interest balance transfer card in a couple of weeks to use for at least part of the Chase Sapphire balance. I do have an offer from my current Discover card for a balance transfer, but I need to find out how they apply payments, because I don't want to get stuck owing money on an older balance transfer if they're applying payments to the newer transfers. That is a problem for future Tex to figure out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two month (and change) check-in

The job change has had me more scrambled than I expected! I'm loving the new role, even though the commute is still pretty rough. (Hurra...